NEW BLOG!

Now that we've left Egypt, I feel a need to record what we did there so when we look back on our time we'll remember it wasn't all homeschool and sleeping. I'll continue to post to this blog until I catch up to the time we left Cairo in June 2010. Our new blog will pick up from that time forward.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Homeschooling in Egypt--Part 5

CAIRO

Then we found out we were moving to Cairo. There is an ISC-Cairo but after some asking around we were convinced it’d be more of the same of what we experienced in Amman. We then looked into sending them to Cairo American College (CAC). CAC is where the majority of expat kids go. The embassy kids all go to CAC. Once we added it all up for now 6 school age kids, we came to the grand total of about $92,000 to send our kids to CAC. Todd’s work gives us an allowance for our kids’ education but it wasn’t $92,000.

We also considered location. Todd’s work was in an area of Cairo called Heliopolis. CAC is in Maadi. Someone was going to have a killer commute if we chose one of those places. Our church is in Maadi, so is scouts, piano lessons, doctors . . . So we knew we’d be making some trips to Maadi. We settled on living in Katameya, in between Maadi and Heliopolis. (However, we’re now looking at moving to Maadi because now after living here the “horror” stories of the commute from Maadi to Heliopolis just aren’t true. We find ourselves making the 30+ minute drive [depending on day/time of day] to Maadi several times a week. Since we have a driver Todd can work during the commute, thereby not losing any work time.)

But lets get back to cost. We analyzed that as well. It was roughly $15000/per child for CAC. Keep in mind you as tax payers are paying that for those that are gov’t workers. But we can get into a political discussion later. For less than what it would cost for CAC, we were able to get things like:

• A full curriculum for each child which included all textbooks, workbooks, online guidance, lesson plans, teacher guides, science experiments, art supplies, literature books, for all subjects (Math, Language Arts, Literature, History, Art, Science, Phonics, Music, etc.)
• Macbooks for each child
• Microsoft Office for said computers
• Custom built bookshelves and desks for each child
• Health club membership
• Piano lessons
• Arabic tutor
• Tennis, gymnastics, baseball, and swimming lessons
• Two languages from Rosetta Stone
• Multiple “Field trips” to the pyramids, museums, Nile River, Azhar Park, etc.
• Extra supplies like notebooks, printer cartridges and paper, pencils, etc.

I list this just to give you an idea of what we were able to buy for less than what it would cost to send them to CAC. After this, it was a no-brainer for us. So we took the plunge and committed to homeschool.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Hi,
We are moving to Cairo in the summer and are going through the same kind of dilemma. My husband also gets an allowance for tuition but it does not cover CAC expenses (I think I saw on the website the tuition and fees are $28,000 a year per student!?!) I'm not sure if we will do that or homeschool. I have heard of AIS, is that a good school?

My husband will work in Katameya and I don't know if we should live there or Maadi.

If you have any advice I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
-J

Anonymous said...

Catherine, you are a wonder-woman. You're kids won't ever want to go back to regular school after this!

Catherine said...

Hi J,

I don't know much about AIS. I wish I could be more helpful. But yeah, CAC expenses are outrageous. I wanted to know where I would pick up the college degree when their time there was finished since it costed about that much.

We live in Katameya but we're hoping to move to Maadi this summer. My husband's work is in Heliopolis which is why we chose Katameya. After living here for almost a year now we see that we spend a lot of time in Maadi. (I have lots of kids and between piano lessons, church activities, scouts, baseball, doctor's appointments, etc.) we spend too much time in the car going back and forth to Maadi.

You definitely get more for your money living in K vs. M. so I'm not thrilled about that aspect. We've liked our compound and the cleaner, less-polluted air but have decided we don't want to commute as much this next year.

There are definitely more expats in M but depending on which compound you choose in K, you may have expats for neighbors if that's important to you. I'd love to answer whatever questions you have. Let me know.

Jackie said...

Thanks so much for the info! I am totally overwhelmed with the prospect of moving in 2 months from Texas. My husband seems to be leaning toward Katameya for the exact reasons you said (more bang for your buck, cleaner air, etc.) but I am not sure because I am sure we will be spending a lot of time in Maadi.

I'd love to pick your brain some more if you don't mind.

Thanks again!