NEW BLOG!

Now that we've left Egypt, I feel a need to record what we did there so when we look back on our time we'll remember it wasn't all homeschool and sleeping. I'll continue to post to this blog until I catch up to the time we left Cairo in June 2010. Our new blog will pick up from that time forward.

Friday, May 14, 2010

A Mormon Mommy Blog Moment or We Love Maya!

Over the last several months I've considered getting T potty trained. He'll be 3 in August. He'd show signs of being ready but I am a procrastinator. The windows of opportunity would close and he'd want nothing to do with it. I'd wait for the next window to open. I'd procrastinate again. I wondered how I could do it when I didn't seem to have a day--let alone a few hours--to devote to this task. I'd talk to him about it, encourage him, set him on the toilet, give him treats, give him applause. It was a few minutes here or there but we never even went as far as taking him out of a diaper.

Then came Maya.

Maya is a Sunbeam in our branch and frankly, I think T has a little crush. Long after our families have moved apart I have committed to staying in touch with her family so in about 20 years we can get them back together.

Maya and her family came over to our house last Saturday for pizza. A couple of times T witnessed Maya asking her mom to help her in the bathroom. That's all it took.

The next day I asked T if he wanted to go potty on the toilet like Maya. He was thrilled to do it. He had one accident that very first morning. And there was an "episode" outside. I won't even call it an accident since he came right to me and proudly announced that he'd just pooped on the grass. I think it's the effects of living in Cairo. He doesn't see a problem with people relieving themselves out in the open.

Anyhow, he's been accident-free (during the day) since. We have a toddler toilet seat that sits on top of the regular seat that he refuses to use. Yeah! (since I'd have to lift him up there if he wanted to use it.) So he just goes and takes care of things all by himself. We're working on him realizing he needs some help wiping in certain cases. It's truly been the easiest potty-training experience I've had with any of my kids. I'm waiting for a regression period but crossing my fingers that I'll just have to mention Maya and the problem will be resolved.

We're still working on nighttime. We've been putting him in a diaper but the last 4 nights he's woken up with a dry diaper. We're also working on underwear. He refuses to wear it. Usually he doesn't even want pants. But at least we're able to convince him to put on some shorts or pants. The underwear will come.

Thank you Maya! We love you!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Yay for Rex!

And, you know, for you, too. :)

Shirlee said...

Yay for Maya!