NEW BLOG!

Now that we've left Egypt, I feel a need to record what we did there so when we look back on our time we'll remember it wasn't all homeschool and sleeping. I'll continue to post to this blog until I catch up to the time we left Cairo in June 2010. Our new blog will pick up from that time forward.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

We're ok with average

We joined a health club to help the kids get a little exercise while they're homeschooling. It's my understanding that in America there are homeschool co-op type groups that get together on occasion for group activities like pe-type stuff. The homeschool group here is so few in number and so spread out that we didn't get together on a regular basis.

The club offered several activities and the kids got to choose what they wanted to do. Petey played tennis almost the entire school year. Critter started with tennis and ended playing baseball with a league in Maadi. Batman did tennis and baseball. Cricket did tennis, gymnastics, then softball. Red did tennis, gymnastics, and baseball. Nic did gymnastics.


Nic

Batman playing catcher


Critter up to bat


Red ready to bat

Can I just say how much we loved the baseball league here? I love my kids and of course I think they're fabulous in all things. But in reality, so far they haven't shown any inclinations of being athletic prodigies. My older kids played in baseball, basketball, and soccer leagues in UT. Some of the kids had more fun than others and different years were more fun than others. What I've realized is that for my kids they have more fun when it isn't as competitive. They love to win and always want to know the score even when they're in a league that doesn't keep score. But even though I always thought I signed up for the "non-competitive" leagues in UT, there was always the overwhelming drive by either coaches or parents to win and do whatever it takes to win. My kids just didn't have as much fun in that environment.

Because of those experiences with the baseball league in UT, the kids were very wary about signing up for baseball here in Cairo. Batman only did it because his best friend from the branch was going to sign up. Critter only did it because Batman was going to and he wanted to stop tennis for a while but I told him he had to choose something. Cricket signed up because her friend from the branch was also going to play. Red hadn't had a bad experience yet because he was too young to play in UT so he was happy to sign up especially since his older brothers were going to play. We still couldn't convince Petey to sign up because of her experience in UT. However, the league here was so great that she regrets not signing up because it looked like lots of fun.

There are far fewer athletic prodigies here in Cairo. There were a handful of great players but my kids fit right in with the majority of the team and the coaches and parents did such a great job at making fun the first priority and winning the second. They encouraged the kids and I really felt like they were teaching them how to play and the rules of the game before they were all worked up that somebody was striking out every time they batted. Parents of opposing teams were friends and cheered for each others kids. The kids were taught good sportsmanship and it was just plain fun. This will be one of the many regrets I have about not staying in Cairo for longer is that I'm afraid it will be difficult to find another league like this.

0 comments: